The Original Bellends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What book are you reading at the moment?

+3
Leonard Cohen
andrews
Look at my Dogs
7 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 2 Empty Re: What book are you reading at the moment?

Post  andrews Sat May 09, 2009 9:47 am

Its not all that intense although it builds constantly over the story's 30 pages.

All of his work had a recurrent theme of humanity being held to the will of a cold, impersonal universe.
andrews
andrews

Back to top Go down

What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 2 Empty Re: What book are you reading at the moment?

Post  bluekatrock Sat May 09, 2009 10:35 am

A book on Mama Cass Elliot that Carl M got me for my birthday last year, 10p worth of book.
bluekatrock
bluekatrock

https://www.facebook.com/bluekatrock

Back to top Go down

Post  andrews Sat May 09, 2009 10:37 am

Ahh The Works cheap as hell, but very hard to find stuff.
andrews
andrews

Back to top Go down

Post  Look at my Dogs Sat May 09, 2009 10:39 am

andrews wrote:Ahh The Works cheap as hell, but very hard to find stuff.

I got Iain Bank's new book - The Steep Approach to Garbadale for 2squids.

That is a great book
Look at my Dogs
Look at my Dogs

Back to top Go down

Post  bluekatrock Sat May 09, 2009 10:39 am

I still cant believe you picked up MASH in there. I searched everywhere for it, order it off the internet that very day and you scoop it up in there!!.... And an out of print copy, too!
bluekatrock
bluekatrock

https://www.facebook.com/bluekatrock

Back to top Go down

Post  andrews Sat May 09, 2009 10:41 am

Because im that good.

Got this from there recently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grays_anatomy

Its a hefty book paid £3 for it.
andrews
andrews

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiggers Sun May 10, 2009 3:49 am

I am reading ze Watchmen and also not finishing a book known as 'In The City of Shy Hunters' which is also good, but which I cannot be bothered to finish on account of the best character just dying from heroin.
Chiggers
Chiggers

http://xbeforea.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Look at my Dogs Sun May 10, 2009 5:11 am

Cheggers wrote:...but which I cannot be bothered to finish on account of the best character just dying from heroin.

A reason as good as any.
Look at my Dogs
Look at my Dogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiggers Sun May 10, 2009 8:18 am

Tomtom wrote:
Cheggers wrote:...but which I cannot be bothered to finish on account of the best character just dying from heroin.

A reason as good as any.

Not for the heroin-dead.
Chiggers
Chiggers

http://xbeforea.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Look at my Dogs Sun May 10, 2009 8:47 am

Cheg wrote:
Tomtom wrote:

A reason as good as any.

Not for the heroin-dead.

well, naturally

But thats a given
Look at my Dogs
Look at my Dogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Leonard Cohen Wed May 20, 2009 10:24 am

i have just purchased philip k dick's valis. not started reading it yet, but i shall do so soon, because my brain is cuurently very brain-shaped, and i would like it to be warped into some other crazy shape, like maybe a pringle
Leonard Cohen
Leonard Cohen
Admin

http://sadsongsforimmaturelovers.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  andrews Wed May 20, 2009 10:51 am

I eyed it cautiously yesterday. And then realised every Philip K Dick novel i have read is a different genre of Sci-Fi, this made me feel very nerdy. So i read some Clarkson.
andrews
andrews

Back to top Go down

Post  Leonard Cohen Wed May 20, 2009 10:53 am

andrews wrote:I eyed it cautiously yesterday. And then realised every Philip K Dick novel i have read is a different genre of Sci-Fi, this made me feel very nerdy. So i read some charlie brooker.

fixed
Leonard Cohen
Leonard Cohen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  andrews Wed May 20, 2009 11:44 am

TheCapu wrote:
andrews wrote:I eyed it cautiously yesterday. And then realised every Philip K Dick novel i have read is a different genre of Sci-Fi, this made me feel very nerdy. So i read some charlie brooker.

fixed
But i own no Charlie Brooker. I need The World According to Clarkson Volume 2 and 3. His articles are so funny.
andrews
andrews

Back to top Go down

Post  Leonard Cohen Thu May 21, 2009 6:12 am

im up to chapter 7 out of 15 of valis. to be honest, its not as difficult as i thought. the basic plot is fairly simple to follow, there are bits i dont get, but i get the feeling i dont get them because philip k dick doesnt want me to get them yet.
the writing style is insane, flicking between third and first person. sometimes dick claims he is the main character, then on the next page he'll be having a conversation with the main character. its crazy.
also, he references a scanner darkly. ive never seen that before, an author putting in a fictional book a direct quote and reference to another fictional book he had previously written. madness
but its good so far. recommendable, certainly
Leonard Cohen
Leonard Cohen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Look at my Dogs Thu May 21, 2009 7:13 am

TheCapu wrote:im up to chapter 7 out of 15 of valis. to be honest, its not as difficult as i thought. the basic plot is fairly simple to follow, there are bits i dont get, but i get the feeling i dont get them because philip k dick doesnt want me to get them yet.
the writing style is insane, flicking between third and first person. sometimes dick claims he is the main character, then on the next page he'll be having a conversation with the main character. its crazy.
also, he references a scanner darkly. ive never seen that before, an author putting in a fictional book a direct quote and reference to another fictional book he had previously written. madness
but its good so far. recommendable, certainly

That is nothing to the sheer complexity and self-referencing style in Paul Auster's New York Trilogy.

I wont go into it now, but it begins with the main character assuming the identity of paul auster. And from there is goes along the same lines.

Possibly my favourite book, possibly not.
Look at my Dogs
Look at my Dogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Leonard Cohen Tue May 26, 2009 5:32 am

finished valis. i shall not explain it, for fear of spoilering. suffice to say each individual page makes sense at the time, but the combination of many pages leads to brainal confusion.
perhaps i shall re-read ubik and a scanner darkly so as to compare. and also for inspiration for my novel which i will never start, only contemplate starting...
Leonard Cohen
Leonard Cohen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  andrews Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:27 pm

I may read I Am Legend for the third time soon.
andrews
andrews

Back to top Go down

Post  andrews Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:25 pm

I didn't read I Am Legend.

I am now reading The Ancestor's Tale also by Richard Dawkins.
Its 600+ pages so its gonna be an epic read which i will follow with some light fiction. Laughing
andrews
andrews

Back to top Go down

Post  Leonard Cohen Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:44 pm

i am reading CBP Finn's Thermal Physics (2nd Edition). because without it i will fail life.
Leonard Cohen
Leonard Cohen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  andrews Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:47 pm

I have never read a physics book. I should i do love physics. But biology is easier for my brain.
andrews
andrews

Back to top Go down

Post  Look at my Dogs Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:42 am

Just spent yesterday evening reading The Great Gatsby.

Why word what a simple yet wondefully outstanding book.

truly deserves its place of the best book ever written. depite the irony of sich a title given to such a simple novel.
Look at my Dogs
Look at my Dogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Look at my Dogs Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:48 am

Just finished Man in the Dark by Paul Auster.

great book.
very simple, yet not without its complications.

the ending seems so detached from it, but the book doesnt suffer because of that.
It is kind of welcomed, in a weird way.

now, what book is next on my 'to read' pile. ah yes, 'Brave New World' by Aldous Huxley

looking forward to this one.
Look at my Dogs
Look at my Dogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Look at my Dogs Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:42 am

just finished brave new world.

what a book,
not as good as 1984, but then again not much is.

oh yeh, blandrews, have you actually read doors of perception?
i know you talked about it enough.
its by the same author as brave new world (huxley).
i am thinking of adding it to my 'to be read' pile.
Look at my Dogs
Look at my Dogs

Back to top Go down

Post  andrews Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:50 pm

The Doors of Perception is excellent. I may re-read it actually. It was truly awesome.
andrews
andrews

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next