The Original Bellends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Music We Like Thread

+4
-
bluekatrock
Chiggers
Leonard Cohen
8 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The Music We Like Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Music We Like Thread

Post  Leonard Cohen Sun May 10, 2009 3:18 pm

your stubborness is your weakness
Leonard Cohen
Leonard Cohen
Admin

http://sadsongsforimmaturelovers.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiggers Sun May 10, 2009 3:19 pm

Not if I.. win!
Chiggers
Chiggers

http://xbeforea.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  - Sun May 10, 2009 3:39 pm

Tomtom wrote:
I have a jazz chat with ya my friend.
You ever heard of Polar bear.

They are a resonably good modern jazz group.
Not that modern jazz is particualarly brilliant. And has crossed over into a realm of chilled out electronica.

The whole jazz/electronica thing I think is very interesting.
But I agree with you about it being quite samey at times.

I find it hard at times to distinguish between tracks by Bonobo, the Cinematic Orchestra, Amon Tobin, Jaga Jazzist, Zero 7, etc, etc, etc.
A lot of the stuff on Ninja Tune is eerily similar.

Though, many of these artists have recently taken a different musical direction, and new releases are much more unique and interesting.
But I still love everything they've done.

Oh, and yes, Polar Bear.
They have a new album which I haven't heard.
I'll have to look into that.

Portico Quartet, too, I guess you could call them modern jazz.
Though with more traditional leanings.
They were nominated for the Mercury Music Prize, and I was sitting there thinking 'I just saw this band on Spotlight a while ago, and now they're all big and nominated for Best Album of the Year!'.. Laughing

I was speaking more about traditional jazz though.
Y'know, 'cause I think that jazz is still very relevant today.
Perhaps more relevant than ever. Razz

Last edited by StupidYeti on Sun May 10, 2009 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

-

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiggers Sun May 10, 2009 3:41 pm

<3 The Cinematic Orchestra.
Chiggers
Chiggers

http://xbeforea.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Look at my Dogs Mon May 11, 2009 11:47 am

StupidYeti wrote:

The whole jazz/electronica thing I think is very interesting.
But I agree with you about it being quite samey at times.

I find it hard at times to distinguish between tracks by Bonobo, the Cinematic Orchestra, Amon Tobin, Jaga Jazzist, Zero 7, etc, etc, etc.
A lot of the stuff on Ninja Tune is eerily similar.

Though, many of these artists have recently taken a different musical direction, and new releases are much more unique and interesting.
But I still love everything they've done.

Oh, and yes, Polar Bear.
They have a new album which I haven't heard.
I'll have to look into that.

Portico Quartet, too, I guess you could call them modern jazz.
Though with more traditional leanings.
They were nominated for the Mercury Music Prize, and I was sitting there thinking 'I just saw this band on Spotlight a while ago, and now they're all big and nominated for Best Album of the Year!'.. Laughing

I was speaking more about traditional jazz though.
Y'know, 'cause I think that jazz is still very relevant today.
Perhaps more relevant than ever. Razz

I agree that ninja tune artists are v. similar.
Although i would say that cinematic orchestra are in a league of their own, however.
I like skalpel too, i think they are on ninja tune.

If you are refering to polar bear's self titled (i think that is their new one) it is the only one i have heard by them. It is good, but i think just goes on just a bit too long. But it is good.

ooh, have you heard st. germain's tourist? that is a marvelous record.
I haven't heard portico quartet, i like this idea of traidtional leanings. I will check them out...

In terms of traitional jazz it is difficult not to keep to the safety of the classics, and i do enjoy davis and mingus etc, etc and the like, (i think you mentioned them at one point on this forum).
'in a silent way' is my particular favourite.
I just think it is difficult to keep up with alot of what was going on in that era, what with all the band hopping and the extensive amount of jazz material being produced.

70's and 80's i find even harder to follow, because it is either very show offy, or just plain bad, or even slipping into bad mainstream practises.

I have been listening to some Pat Metheney, and while some of it is good, it just makes me wonder 'how good actually is it'.

But, you may have a better understanding and knowledge of this sort of stuff.
Is there any classic jazz records you can recommend? outside of the obvious, of which i have heard most of.
Look at my Dogs
Look at my Dogs

Back to top Go down

Post  andrews Mon May 11, 2009 11:50 am

I have no idea about jazz. Its out of my knowledge range with music. Crying or Very sad

But i do love In A Silent Way by Miles Davis.
andrews
andrews

Back to top Go down

Post  Look at my Dogs Mon May 11, 2009 11:50 am

andrews wrote:
But i do love In A Silent Way by Miles Davis.

Then you are welcome in mine and lee's jazz club.
Look at my Dogs
Look at my Dogs

Back to top Go down

Post  - Tue May 12, 2009 9:03 am

Tomtom wrote:
In terms of traitional jazz it is difficult not to keep to the safety of the classics, and i do enjoy davis and mingus etc, etc and the like, (i think you mentioned them at one point on this forum).
I just think it is difficult to keep up with alot of what was going on in that era, what with all the band hopping and the extensive amount of jazz material being produced.

70's and 80's i find even harder to follow, because it is either very show offy, or just plain bad, or even slipping into bad mainstream practises.

I have been listening to some Pat Metheney, and while some of it is good, it just makes me wonder 'how good actually is it'.

Is there any classic jazz records you can recommend? outside of the obvious, of which i have heard most of.

Haha, I know where you're coming from with your talk of extensive amounts of jazz, there really were quite a number of decades with an overwhelming amount of it being produced each year.
So it's hard to weed out the good from the bad.

Most of early-to-mid Miles is amazing.
Throughout the '80s, he got a lot more into the whole fusion thing, and his quality suffered, in my opinion.
I haven't heard a lot of his albums from that eras, mainly because of the idea of '80s electronic influences, but the stuff I have heard isn't to my taste.

That may also go for the majority of jazz from the '80s.
There's a band called Yellowjackets who are the epitome of the reason I dislike most '80s jazz.
The funk is there, but the soul that permeates the jazz of the '50s and '60s is missing.
Which is where your point about mainstream practices comes in.

'70s jazz, though, I can get into that.
That was a decade of crazy jazz-fusion albums. In a good way.
And surely the whole point of jazz is to be showy?
Haha. Razz

Yes, not everything was brilliant.
But the same can be said for any genre of music. Smile

In terms of classic albums, I don't want to be too obvious.
And I'm sure you've heard Davis' 'Kind of Blue', and Mingus' 'Mingus Ah Um'.

But in regards to Miles Davis:
'Bitches Brew' is fantastic, I listened to the four-and-a-half Complete Bitches Brew Sessions in one sitting and was almost completely jazzed out for several days. Very Happy
'Miles in the Sky' is a tune of an album.
I recommend 'Milestones', 'ESP, 'Miles Smiles', 'Nefertiti' and 'Electric'.
And 'Conception', which was a collaboration with Lee Konitz and Stan Getz, and the perfect example of early Miles.
Besides 'The Complete Birth of the Cool', which you've also probably heard.

This is in danger of turning into a list of Miles Davis albums.
But a lot of his stuff is pretty win. Razz

Cannonball Adderley's 'Somethin' Else' is a classic album. And it also features Miles Davis. So.... there you go. Smile

Charles Mingus' 'the Black Saint and the Sinner Lady' is a damn fine record.
I listened to 'The Clown' again recently, and I have to say that I love that too.

I would also recommend some Coltrane, because I think I have to. Very Happy
Particularly 'A Love Supreme', which is amazing.
'Meditations' is probably the closest to noise music as you can find in jazz, and that can only be a good thing!
'Soultrane' and 'Blue Train' are lovely pieces of work, if you're looking for something with more melody. Wink

Joe Henderson's 'Page One', 'In 'n' Out', and 'The Elements' are fantastic pieces of work.
'The Elements' has one of the best uses of a violin in a jazz record.

Count Basie is more swing/big-band than jazz, but it's a similar kind of thing, so I feel like I should recommend 'Atomic Swing' and his album with Sarah Vaughn, the latter of which is positively dripping with win, due to the extensive use of female scat singing.

The Dave Brubeck Quartet's 'Time Out' is a classic album.
But unfortunately, the only album I've heard by them.

Ornette Coleman's 'The Shape of Jazz to Come' is messy, and noisy, and Ben?! genius. Harshly received in its time, though.
50 years later, and it still sounds new and exciting.
At least to me, haha. Rolling Eyes

I feel like I'm going on and on, and I've only mentioned eight artists.
Heh.

Oh, I was listening to the Charlie Hunter Trio's 'Friends Seen and Unseen' album recently, I think that's a good example of modern jazz.

And if you're looking for more jazz-inspired electronic shiz, I recommend 'Making Bones' and 'Our Aim Is To Satisfy Red Snapper' by Red Snapper, 'The Stix' by Jaga Jazzist, and Bonobo's 'Dial M For Monkey', 'Animal Magic' and 'Days to Come'.
Amon Tobin's 'Bricolage', 'Permutation', and 'Supermodified' are also all Ben?! good.

It is now quite late in the day, but here are some words for you.
I got a little bit carried away, to be honest. Razz

Oh, and I haven't heard St. Germain's 'The Tourist', but I have considered buying it at least five times over the past two years.
I really would like to make a successful purchase of it one of these days. Laughing

-

Back to top Go down

Post  Leonard Cohen Tue May 12, 2009 10:23 am

StupidYeti wrote:
Tomtom wrote:

Haha, I know where you're coming from with your talk of extensive amounts of jazz, there really were quite a number of decades with an overwhelming amount of it being produced each year.

Throughout the '80s, he got a lot more into the whole fusion thing, and his quality suffered, in my opinion.
I haven't heard a lot of his albums from that eras, mainly because of the idea of '80s electronic influences, but the stuff I have heard isn't to my taste.

There's a band called Yellowjackets who are the epitome of the reason I dislike most '80s jazz.
The funk is there, but the soul that permeates the jazz of the '50s and '60s is missing.

Haha. Razz

'Bitches Brew' is fantastic, I listened to the four-and-a-half Complete Bitches Brew Sessions in one sitting and was almost completely jazzed out for several days. Very Happy
And 'Conception', which was a collaboration with Lee Konitz and Stan Getz, and the perfect example of early Miles.

Cannonball Adderley's 'Somethin' Else' is a classic album. And it also features Miles Davis. So.... there you go. Smile

I listened to 'The Clown' again recently, and I have to say that I love that too.

'Meditations' is probably the closest to noise music as you can find in jazz, and that can only be a good thing!
'Soultrane' and 'Blue Train' are lovely pieces of work, if you're looking for something with more melody. Wink

Joe Henderson's 'Page One', 'In 'n' Out', and 'The Elements' are fantastic pieces of work.

Count Basie is more swing/big-band than jazz, but it's a similar kind of thing, so I feel like I should recommend 'Atomic Swing' and his album with Sarah Vaughn, the latter of which is positively dripping with win, due to the extensive use of female scat singing.

Ornette Coleman's 'The Shape of Jazz to Come' is messy, and noisy, and Ben?! genius. Harshly received in its time, though.

Heh.

Oh, I was listening to the Charlie Hunter Trio's 'Friends Seen and Unseen' album recently, I think that's a good example of modern jazz.

And if you're looking for more jazz-inspired electronic shiz, I recommend 'Making Bones' and 'Our Aim Is To Satisfy Red Snapper' by Red Snapper, 'The Stix' by Jaga Jazzist, and Bonobo's 'Dial M For Monkey', 'Animal Magic' and 'Days to Come'.
Amon Tobin's 'Bricolage', 'Permutation', and 'Supermodified' are also all Ben?! good.

Oh, and I haven't heard St. Germain's 'The Tourist', but I have considered buying it at least five times over the past two years.
I really would like to make a successful purchase of it one of these days. Laughing

yeah, you should probly make your own jazz thread...
Leonard Cohen
Leonard Cohen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  - Thu May 14, 2009 2:17 pm

I just came back on here.

I went on for quite a long time, didn't I?

Embarassed

I have more for the list of brilliant albums, but I'm too embarrassed to start a jazz thread. Sad

-

Back to top Go down

Post  Leonard Cohen Wed May 20, 2009 10:27 am

i have been perusing around my local record shop, and found something that may or may not be a deal. i wish to submit it to this forum for a decision on the deal-ishness of this deal.

pink floyd. the wall. vinyl. £6

cheap yes, but is it worth it when i already own it and its frankly only half good
Leonard Cohen
Leonard Cohen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Look at my Dogs Wed May 20, 2009 10:29 am

TheCapu wrote:i have been perusing around my local record shop, and found something that may or may not be a deal. i wish to submit it to this forum for a decision on the deal-ishness of this deal.

pink floyd. the wall. vinyl. £6

cheap yes, but is it worth it when i already own it and its frankly only half good

What is the quality of the discs?
cause you dont want one that skips do you now.

If the discs are playable then that is very cheap and i wish to come to your record shop presently and parouse its jazz collections.
Look at my Dogs
Look at my Dogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Leonard Cohen Wed May 20, 2009 10:39 am

Look at my Dogs wrote:What is the quality of the discs?
cause you dont want one that skips do you now.

If the discs are playable then that is very cheap and i wish to come to your record shop presently and parouse its jazz collections.

i had a brief look at it seemed pretty nice quality, although of course you can never tell for sure.

if you wish to peruse the jazz collection it will take you 10 days. in some places you literally cannot move for jazz. and i actually mean literally, as opposed to other people who use the word 'literally' to mean 'not literally'.
Leonard Cohen
Leonard Cohen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Look at my Dogs Wed May 20, 2009 10:46 am

Then i guess i will have to come visit you for ten days.
Well eleven, because i cant use the whole time perusing jazz collections.

And usually a record shop would indicate if the vinyl is scratch enough for the songs to skip.
But y'know, your place might be somehwere that doesnt.

£6 is good for a risk though
I havent seen the wall in my record shop so i cant give you a comparitive price.

Although i have recently discovered a new record shop in portsmouth.
Havent been there yet.
Just thought you might like to know.
I will see if they have an online catalogue.
Look at my Dogs
Look at my Dogs

Back to top Go down

Post  bluekatrock Wed May 20, 2009 10:49 am

I bought some records from a guy once who said he hadn't tested any of them and if they don't work then I could take them back and get all my moneys again.

Yet, I don't think this is the same guy. If he is old, rather jolly, has a sailor's beard and has a market stall in cambridge, then it might be.
bluekatrock
bluekatrock

https://www.facebook.com/bluekatrock

Back to top Go down

Post  Leonard Cohen Wed May 20, 2009 10:49 am

oh yes, and i forgot to mention. my record shop has a sign outside saying 'collector's records', but it seems this is not the actual name of the shop. would you like to know what it is? i will show you the bag

The Music We Like Thread - Page 2 Pictur14

Ben?!
Leonard Cohen
Leonard Cohen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Look at my Dogs Wed May 20, 2009 10:49 am

Look at my Dogs wrote:
I will see if they have an online catalogue.

They do,
the wall was £40 on it.
Shocked

But they do have a grading system and it is marked as EX, for excellent condition.

40 - 6 = 34
a saving of £34
Look at my Dogs
Look at my Dogs

Back to top Go down

Post  bluekatrock Wed May 20, 2009 10:51 am

I honestly think £6 is worth the risk, if it doesn't work then...like, you still own it and it'll look good to have in your collection...just throw on the CD and pretend you're listening to on your record player.
bluekatrock
bluekatrock

https://www.facebook.com/bluekatrock

Back to top Go down

Post  Leonard Cohen Wed May 20, 2009 10:52 am

bluekatrock wrote:I honestly think £6 is worth the risk, if it doesn't work then...like, you still own it and it'll look good to have in your collection...just throw on the CD and pretend you're listening to on your record player.

im not really into buying records if i already own them in other ways just cos its vinyl. also, the wall aint the best album in the world now, is it. if it was wish you were here on the other hand, id be all other that record like nobody's business
Leonard Cohen
Leonard Cohen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Look at my Dogs Wed May 20, 2009 10:58 am

wish you were here is £5 in my record shop.

flicks the Vs
and blows a rasberry.

oh yeh, so is animals.
Look at my Dogs
Look at my Dogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Leonard Cohen Wed May 20, 2009 10:59 am

Look at my Dogs wrote:wish you were here is £5 in my record shop.

flicks the Vs
and blows a rasberry.

oh yeh, so is animals.

why the hell have i not purchased these yet?
in fact, you buy them ill give you the money at the weekend. yes?
Leonard Cohen
Leonard Cohen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Look at my Dogs Wed May 20, 2009 11:04 am

TheCapu wrote:
why the hell have i not purchased these yet?

Because that one time you went in there you walked around the shop and then left.
and the other time were in a rush to get the train so we couldnt

and the other time it wasnt open.
Look at my Dogs
Look at my Dogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Leonard Cohen Wed May 20, 2009 11:08 am

Look at my Dogs wrote:Because that one time you went in there you walked around the shop and then left. .

was that the time i got distracted by the there there single for £1? which i then didnt buy anyway? probly was...
Leonard Cohen
Leonard Cohen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Look at my Dogs Wed May 20, 2009 11:12 am

TheCapu wrote:
Look at my Dogs wrote:Because that one time you went in there you walked around the shop and then left. .

was that the time i got distracted by the there there single for £1? which i then didnt buy anyway? probly was...

Has there ever been a time when the thing distracting you hasnt been there there, in terms of basslines, putting the song on at inapropriate times, or listening to the song inside your head?
And every variation of the above.

i.e - playing the bassline in your head.
Look at my Dogs
Look at my Dogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Look at my Dogs Thu May 21, 2009 1:54 pm

StupidYeti wrote:

Haha. Razz

Heh.

Cheers for all this by the by lee.

I have been listening to alot of jazz recently and this really helped out.
Look at my Dogs
Look at my Dogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next